, one of the many dinosaurs first collected and described in the Bone Wars
, was originally named by Othniel Charles Marsh in 1877, from remains recovered north of Morrison, Colorado. These first bones became the holotype of Stegosaurus armatus
. Marsh initially believed the remains were from an aquatic turtle-like animal, and the basis for its scientific name, ‘roof(ed) lizard’ was due to his early belief that the plates lay flat over the animal’s back, overlapping like the shingles (tiles) on a roof. A wealth of Stegosaurus
material was recovered over the next few years, and Marsh published several papers on the genus from 1877 to 1897. In 1878, Edward Drinker Cope named Hypsirhophus discurus
, as another stegosaurian based on fragmentary fossils specimens from Cope’s Quarry 3 near the “Cope’s Nipple” site in Garden Park, Colorado. Many later researchers have considered Hypsirhophus
to be a synonym of Stegosaurus
, though Peter Galton (2010) suggested that it is distinct based on differences in the vertebrae.